Abbey Road

Abbey Road

Sunday, April 13, 2008

On the path

So I found out on Friday that I passed the third of the three teacher's tests I needed to take in order to apply for liscensure! I am very excited! I mean, I knew I was going to pass it, but still. It's good to know for sure!

Now I have to buckle down and start working on my teaching resume. Which will be interesting, considering the only teaching experience I have is one year of Hebrew. But, Heahter and Evan pointed out some experiences I've had that would be good to add. For instance, tutoring for Bar Mitzvah and training new employees in other jobs. I'm wondering if I should put down my Life is Good Productions experience. I mean, we made $ for the JDRF, but the only face-to-face contact I had with the kids was a Halloween party for the summer camp. I guess that could count.

I am getting a little nervous about interviewing too. I mean, are they going to see through me and see that I have no real teaching experience? Are they going to be laughing on the inside, knowing that the teenagers are going to have me for breakfast?

I don't know. Evan gave me a bunch of good reading material that I'm working through. I'm hoping that, along with my inner nerd, will help me get through my first year. Also, I'm REALLY interested in working at Nashoba Tech. From what I saw on their website, it's more of a college atmosphere than a white-bred college prep high school. The kids there seem to really enjoy going to school. They get to choose which real-life skills they want to learn. Plus, you have kids coming together from several different towns into one school. There won't be that 9-12 years of built up crap that kids in other high schools deal with. So it seemed on their website, anyway.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed both for getting a teaching position by the fall, and for not being eaten alive by 15-year-olds.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yaaaaaayyyy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Just remember that new teachers don't have much teaching experience and you'll be no different. I've worked with new teachers who have absolutely no teaching experience, where you've already had some.

And classroom management is the key to an effective first year. Establish a plan for discipline and stick with it no matter what. Fairness is key to earning the students' respect. And once you've gained their respect, discipline easily follows. Respect them in return and things get easier.

Good luck in your interviews. I'm sure you'll do great!

Heather said...

You know you have my full confidence and support, hon! Ditto everything that Amanda said, and know that you'll have us to help as much as we can. PLus if you work at Nashoba, you and Ev can meet up after school and compare notes!

Buena Suerte!